Throughout my years as an account manager and eventual manager of the marketing and PR department, I’ve been eager to learn as much about the online industry as possible. I first came to Direct Agents with a limited knowledge- having just graduated from NYU and never had any courses on the subject of online advertising (none were offered, anyway). I had a voracious appetite for learning everything and anything I could about the industry. In my quest for knowledge I’ve discovered some great lessons and reads. Check them out below:
1. I love all things about advertising: online and off, so I start my week off every Monday with a fresh copy of Advertising Age magazine. It helps keep me abreast of everything going on in the industry as a whole.
2. Read the blogs: Members of the online marketing community are a friendly and personable bunch. They are generous in sharing their knowledge, whether you’re affiliate, advertiser, agency or network, there is a blog for you. If you’re an avid follower, subscribe to the RSS feeds.
3. Join forums: Forums are a way to connect with members of the online community. They’ll keep you abreast of all the latest news, technologies and of course, gossip.
4.Attend Conferences: Ad:tech, Affiliate Summit, SES, Internet Retailer are just a few of the several dozen conferences every year. They also have lots of information sessions on a variety of topics so you can get your learn on.
5. Join an advertising club: to network and attend social gatherings with others in your industry. If you’re in NY, 212, Affiliate Meetup 202 and the advertising club will keep you focused.
6. Read some more: OMMA, Revenue, Mediapost are all excellent reads about the industry. I also read business magazines like Entrepreneur magazine and Inc magazine to say on top of the latest trends in business and new media.